A 14-year-old girl fell 25 feet from a gondola ride at Six Flags Amusement Park in Queensbury, New York, Saturday night as a group of park guests gathered under her to help break her fall. >> Read more trending news The “Sky Ride” was stopped at the park about 55 miles north of Albany when the accident happened, according to CBS News. The teenager was on the ride with a child relative when she fell from the two-person car, the Warren County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement. The ride was stopped after the operator was told of a rider in distress, CBS reported. The video shows the girl somehow slipped through the safety bar, which briefly held her aloft while she dangled in the air. The teen from Delaware struck a tree before landing in the crowd, which had gathered to catch her. She was treated at the park, then taken to an area hospital. >> Related: Girl, 11, dies after falling out of ride at water park Park officials said the ride was working properly. “There does not appear to be any malfunction of the ride, but we have closed the attraction until the a thorough review can be completed,” USA Today reported park officials said in a statement. Another person was injured as he was trying to help catch the girl.
After widespread rumors and speculation, Disney has confirmed that President Donald Trump will have a speaking role once his statue is added to the Hall of Presidents attraction at Magic Kingdom park. According to News 13, park officials with Disney World said a robotic President Trump will get the chance to speak its mind during the attraction. Last month, so-called “anonymous sources” within Disney claimed that the Hall of Presidents would be overhauled to avoid giving the 45th President any lines. Traditionally, each President in the nation’s history gets something to say during the course of the attraction. The Hall of Presidents has been closed since January to prepare for President Trump’s inclusion.
A rabbi is among several people in New Jersey who were arrested Monday in raids by federal and state authorities in a multimillion-dollar welfare fraud investigation. >> Read more trending news Rabbi Zalmen Sorotzkin and seven others are being charged, accused of taking public assistance and defrauding the government of $1.3 million over recent years, law enforcement officials told the Asbury Park Press. Investigators said that the accused had plans that, a source told the Asbury Park Press, “rival the most sophisticated of financial frauds.” Officials said the people involved under-reported their income. In exchange, they were able to qualify for Medicaid, Section 8 housing assistance, food stamps, Social Security disability and Supplemental Security Income, the Asbury Park Press reported. Officials said the accused, who are four married couples, made thousands of dollars more a year than they told program officials. Investigators said they traced illegal money transfers, along with records from private schools for tuition. Law enforcement officials said they believe that Monday’s arrest will be the first in a series of arrests in a larger fraud ring.
A man was shot early Monday at a shopping plaza in the Pine Castle neighborhood, the Orange County Sheriff's Office said. The shooting was reported shortly before 3:45 a.m. on West Oak Ridge Road east of Winegard Road, deputies said. Investigators said the victim, whose identity wasn't released, was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center. His injuries weren't life-threatening. Detectives haven't determined a motive for the shooting, and the gunman remains at large. The shooting remains under investigation. No other details were given.
Video emerged Sunday of a multistory Colombian tourist boat with about 160 people aboard capsizing and sinking in the Guatape reservoir near Medellin. >> Read more trending news >> Click here or scroll down for more
Unable to convince GOP lawmakers to get on board with a plan to overhaul the Obama health law, Republicans in the House decided not to even force a vote on the measure, a major setback for both President Donald Trump and House Speaker Paul Ryan.
“This is a setback – no two ways about it,” said Speaker Paul Ryan, after he told GOP lawmakers that there were not enough votes.
“I will not sugarcoat this; this is a disappointing day for us,” Ryan added. “We came really close today, but we came up short.”
The bill never even came to a vote, as it became obvious that Republicans had nowhere near a majority of lawmakers ready to vote for it.
It was a stunning derailment of the Republican plan – central to their campaigns of recent years – to repeal and replace the Obama health law; the GOP plan had been unveiled on March 6 – and just 18 days later it was running aground.
Some Republicans though said the GOP should not give up, arguing it’s time to push forward to find a real solution on health care.
“I believe this bill will come back to the floor in a way that bridges philosophical gaps and stays true to the deliberative process so vital in producing good legislation,” said Rep. Mark Sanford (R-SC).
Democrats were more than happy to pile on the GOP legislative debacle.
“This is a win for the American people,” said Rep. Chellie Pingree (D-ME).