The FBI and NFL security said on Monday that they found a jersey stolen from the New England Patriots’ Tom Brady after his team won the Super Bowl last month in Mexico. >> Read more trending stories Along with the jersey, worn during Brady during Super Bowl LI, authorities also recovered a second jersey worn by Brady during the Patriots’ 2015 Super Bowl XLIV victory against the Seattle Seahawks, NFL officials said in a statement. “The items were found in the possession of a credentialed member of the international media,” according to the NFL. Houston police Chief Art Acevedo praised his department’s work in finding the jersey, which was traced to Mexico. Diario La Presna, the newspaper of the Mexican Editorial Organization, said on Twitter that the case involved the former director of the newspaper. A statement on the connection was expected Monday. Few details were immediately available in the investigation. The story made headlines across the country after Brady noticed his jersey was missing from the locker room after the historic Super Bowl win. “I put it in my bag and then came out and it wasn’t there anymore,” Brady said at the time. “So it’s unfortunate because that’s a nice piece of memorabilia. So if it shows up on eBay somewhere, someone let me know. Try to track that down.” The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.
It’s Tuesday. My favorite day of the week. Because tacos. The rumors are true - I love tacos. Crispy tacos. Soft tacos. Beef tacos. Chicken tacos. Even shrimp tacos. They’re all my favorites. But what does Tuesday have to do with tacos? At some point in our US culinary culture, someone put the word “taco” in front of “Tuesday” and created a benchmark dietary staple on a memorable day with a nice alliteration for the title - Taco Tuesday! But, don’t plan on using that for a theme for your new taco business, lest you have a strong legal team. While most people know about Taco Tuesday, they’re considerably less aware of who actually OWNS the ‘Taco Tuesday’ copyright. And that distinction belongs to Wyoming-based restaurant Taco John’s. (app users can see tweet here) (app users can see Facebook post here) We’ve even found what we’re told is the very first ‘Taco Tuesday’ radio commercial from Taco John’s. Behold: (app users can hear the commercial here) Priceonomics has an entire report on the history of ‘Taco Tuesday,’ that starts with this piece of startling information for a restaurant owner who dared use “taco Tuesday” as a promotion: When the owners of the Old Fashioned Tavern and Restaurant received a cease and desist letter demanding they stop holding Taco Tuesdays, they thought it was a joke. For almost a decade, the restaurant had sold $2 tacos on Tuesday night. Other restaurants and bars in the area had similar promotions, and in cities like San Francisco and Los Angeles, Taco Tuesday specials are as plentiful as yoga classes. But the author of the letter claimed that “Taco Tuesday” was a federally registered trademark that belonged to Taco John’s, a chain of around 400 Mexican-style fast food restaurants. And as Old Fashioned manager Jennifer DeBolt told the local Cap Times, they quickly realized that “the law firm is completely legit.” So, like hundreds of restaurant owners and managers who have received letters from Taco John’s lawyers in the last two decades, they stopped using the term Taco Tuesday.
A lawsuit brought by victims of the Orlando nightclub massacre against the gunman's employer and wife is being withdrawn from federal court and filed in state court in South Florida. Attorneys for 61 Pulse victims and family members of those killed filed the lawsuit in state court in Palm Beach County on Monday. The change in venues was made just days after a federal judge said in an order that he doubted federal court was the proper jurisdiction for the case. The lawsuit claims Omar Mateen's employer, security firm G4S, and the wife of Mateen, could have stopped the gunman before the attack last June but didn't. Forty-nine people died in the worst mass shooting in recent U.S. history, and dozens more were injured.
Orlando and Orange County officials want the first anniversary next June of the Pulse nightclub massacre to be marked with acts of love and kindness. Elected officials on Monday said that June 12 officially would be dedicated as 'Orlando United Day - A Day of Love and Kindness.' Officials also announced a series of events planned throughout the day on June 12. An exhibit of artwork collected from memorial sites set up around Orlando after the massacre will be shown at the Orange County History Center, followed by a memorial service at the site of the former gay nightclub. Another memorial ceremony will be held in the evening around downtown Orlando's Lake Eola. Forty-nine people died in the worst mass shooting in recent U.S. history; dozens more were injured.
It will be another day in court for accused murderer Markeith Loyd on Tuesday. The judge could make a decision about whether Loyd needs not only a full psychological evaluation, but an attorney. Markeith Loyd murder case controversy continues with new court filings Scott doubles down on decision to remove Ayala from Loyd's case Chief Mina 'extremely upset' over decision to not seek death penalty in… The Public Defender’s office has already said it has a conflict and is out, and the Office of Criminal Conflict is up next to bat. That office also said there could be an issue, which means the chief judge may appoint a private attorney as stand-by counsel. “The best course of action is that you appoint a seasoned, stand-by counsel whether or not Markeith Loyd wants it or not,” said WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer. But there are only a few who can take over the case. The options for attorneys are all death-penalty certified, and are on a rotation. In Loyd’s case, two attorneys could be appointed, and one will be a seasoned lawyer. Legal analysts say there are a few likely on a shorter list. “In a case like this, the court is going to err, they are going to err on the side of caution,” said Sheaffer. Taxpayers will have to pay for one of the attorneys if it comes to that.
Today marks the 20th release of emails from a top Clinton aide by Wikileaks, as the internet group has turned up its attacks on Clinton, vowing to release more documents every day until the U.S. elections on November 8.
In today’s release, the Clinton team at one point is grappling with an issue that came up recently – how to deal with questions surrounding the charges of sexual misconduct against Bill Clinton.
This is from a January email discussing campaign prep for Hillary Clinton:
There are also additional emails today that show frustration among some Clinton aides over how she has handled the issue of her emails while Secretary of State:
Here’s a few things to chew on as we go through the latest Wikileaks email dump:
1. Clinton’s emails to President Obama. This matter continues to be the one that has raised the most eyebrows – circling around the reaction of Clinton aides to a New York Times story about the President emailing with Clinton – via her private server. “We need to clean this up. He has emails from her – they do not say state.gov,” Cheryl Mills wrote in one email. The White House says the President did not know about Clinton’s email server then, and isn’t changing his story now:
2. Clinton Foundation insider drama. There has also been a lot of attention served on the operations of the Clinton Foundation as a result of the Wikileaks email releases. “Spokesmen for Bill Clinton and Chelsea Clinton and the foundation declined to comment,” wrote the Washington Post today in a front page story about a fundraising memo released earlier in the week. “Donations to Foundation Vexed Hillary Clinton’s Aides, Emails Show,” roared the front page, lead story headline in the New York Times.
3. Trump more than happy to pound on Wikileaks. At just about every campaign stop, Trump rolls out something from Wikileaks to use against Hillary Clinton. “What about all the Wikileaks?” he said at a Kinston, North Carolina rally on Wednesday night, much to the approval of the crowd. “This Wikileaks is unbelievable, what we’ve learned about her and her people,” Trump said earlier in Charlotte. “What they’ve said about her behind her back,” as he uses some of the staff infighting to cast doubt on Clinton. As for who hacked Clinton, Trump still isn’t pointing the finger at the Russians.
4. Why not any emails from the Trump campaign? Wikileaks was asked exactly that on Sunday by a Twitter user, and the answer was sort of interesting, as the internet group replied that the reason there are no leaks is that Trump doesn’t use email.
But that answer falls a bit flat in this sense – Wikileaks doesn’t have many emails that were actually sent by Hillary Clinton; the only ones we have seen are emails she sent to John Podesta and other campaign aides, or missives that were sent to her. The hack that gave Wikileaks this trove of emails was on Podesta, not on Clinton. If you check out the Tweets from Wikileaks these days, the group is campaigning hard against Clinton.
5. Some Clinton push back on Wikileaks. For the most part, the Clinton Campaign has said very little about Wikileaks, leading many to believe the complete veracity of the documents. But on Wednesday, a Clinton aide who has been focused on the Wikileaks matter unleashed a tweet storm directed at Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, again pressing the charge that Wikileaks is nothing but a stooge for Russian intelligence.
But for now, all the Clinton team can do is complain, and probably hope that nothing damaging comes out over the next 11 days.
One other note – Wikileaks still has not released any Podesta email from after March 21, 2016. Unless they are holding back, that means their talk of more up-to-date emails might be a public relations bluff.