Posted: 11:31 am Thursday, March 3rd, 2016
By Jamie Dupree
With Ben Carson exiting the GOP race, the four remaining Republican candidates for President will be back on a debate stage on Thursday night, as they gather in Detroit, Michigan for what may be a second straight debate that is chock full of energetic exchanges.
It was just last week that Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz put Donald Trump on the defensive for most of the night in Houston, Texas, and some of that may be repeated just two days before the next four states vote in the GOP race.
“Donald Trump is a con artist,” Rubio bellowed to his supporters on the night of Super Tuesday, a line that he has used repeatedly since last week’s debate.
Without Carson on the stage, that will mean even more time for the four Republicans left in the race – and maybe more time for Cruz and Rubio to zero in on Trump.
With Carson no longer in the race, Trump was making an open appeal to his supporters to back his bid for the GOP nomination.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 3, 2016
As for Trump, this will be the first time he has been at a debate with Megyn Kelly of Fox News, since they had a dustup at the very first debate in Cleveland.
“It was never personal from my point of view,” Kelly told the Associated Press.
“I understand he was upset. I didn’t take it personally and I certainly don’t have anything against him. I find him a very fascinating person to cover,” she added.
Trump didn’t find anything fascinating, as he kept up a barrage of attacks on Kelly, labeling her a lightweight – the same put down he has used with Rubio in recent days.
Trump skipped the Fox News debate in Iowa, where Kelly was one of the moderators.
“He knows he can handle me. He can handle any interviewer,” Kelly said.
We’ll see what happens tonight.