A woman has a warning for people who use the changing rooms at a Robinson Township, Pennsylvania, mall. Heather Lapinski said that while she was trying on bathing suits at Macy’s in the Mall at Robinson, she noticed a cellphone under the door. She grabbed it, but a man’s hand grabbed it back. >> Read more trending news By the time she was able to exit the dressing room, the man was gone. “I got ahold of it and a man's hand came down and grabbed it. I couldn’t scream. I was in so much shock,” Lapinski said. “I was crying. I didn't have my top on (and) I’m not running out completely naked.” By the time she was able to exit the dressing room, the man was gone. Lapinski described the man as having a medium build and balding in the front of his head. She said she hopes that someone recognizes the man before he does it again. “I want someone to say, ‘I know him.’ He can't keep going back and keep doing this to women. I’m going to be traumatized for the rest of my life,” she said. “When I go to bed, I toss and turn thinking about his face.” Both Macy’s and the Mall at Robinson said in statements about the matter that the safety of customers is a top priority. They could not confirm whether other incidents were previously reported.
When a teenager in Texas borrowed a family friend's computer, he made a shocking and sickening discovery. The boy found nude photos of his 10-year-old sister on the computer of Joe Garza Jr., according to the Star-Telegram. >> Read more trending news Garza, 65, was arrested March 3 on child pornography charges, and faces additional charges after it was discovered that he allegedly molested an older sister in the family years ago. The Star-Telegram reports that the boy, who was trying to fix the hard drive on his own computer, asked to borrow Garza's computer. While using it, he clicked on a folder and discovered the images of his sister. He returned the computer to Garza and told his mother about the images. She asked the boy to request to use the computer again so she could see the images for herself. The mother confronted Garza about the images and police were called to the scene. Officer Domingo Martinez, who works for the Fort Worth Police Department’s Crimes Against Children Task Force, told the Star-Telegram that Garza admitted to the mother that he had a problem and said he would disappear if she didn't call police. In interviews with authorities, the 10-year-old victim said Garza bought her items and gave her money, and told her not to tell her parents about the abuse. Garza remains behind bars while investigators work to determine if there are additional victims.
A judge says Florida's governor can remove a prosecutor from a death penalty-eligible case and has denied a request to delay the proceedings. State Attorney Aramis Ayala today asked a judge to delay proceedings for two weeks while she prepares an argument for the Florida Supreme Court. But Circuit Judge Frederick J. Lauten denied her request Tuesday. NOTE: THE FOLLOWING IS A STORY THAT ORIGINATED ON MARCH 16, 2017 Earlier today, Governor Scott called on State Attorney Ayala to recuse herself immediately from prosecuting Markeith Loyd after she refused to consider the death penalty in this case. State Attorney Ayala has refused to recuse herself and Governor Scott has removed her from the case and reassigned it to State Attorney Brad King. Governor Scott said, “Earlier today, I called on State Attorney Ayala to immediately recuse herself from this case. She informed me this afternoon that she refuses to do that. She has made it clear that she will not fight for justice and that is why I am using my executive authority to immediately reassign the case to State Attorney Brad King. “Let’s remember, Markeith Loyd is accused of executing a brave law enforcement hero and murdering his pregnant ex-girlfriend, Sade Dixon. Orange County Sheriff’s Deputy Norman Lewis was also killed while actively searching for Markeith Loyd following these heinous murders. I am outraged and sickened by this loss of life and many families’ lives have been forever changed because of these senseless murders. These families deserve a state attorney who will aggressively prosecute Markeith Loyd to the fullest extent of the law and justice must be served.”
A brushfire that broke out on Osteen Street has spread to about 20 acres and some nearby homes are being evacuated as a precaution. The Florida Fire Service and local firefighters are battling the flames in Volusia County.
A North Carolina county could be in major violation of HIPPA laws after mistakenly releasing hundreds of patients’ private medical records to a Charlotte TV station that was investigating a medical story. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or HIPPA, was enacted in 1996 to ensure patient privacy rights. >> Read more trending news Mecklenburg County manager Dena Diorio revealed Tuesday afternoon that the county mistakenly released the private medical records of some 1,200 patients to the media. The county attorney confirmed patient health information was compromised. 'I'm absolutely speechless with anger at how something like this could happen,' Diorio said. Channel 9 had requested public records related to the county's failure to notify nearly 200 women about abnormal Pap smear results. While WSOC-TV received that information Monday, the county also mistakenly included detailed medical history about hundreds of patients. The information included an Excel spreadsheets documenting the patients’ full names, addresses and dates of visits. For some patients it also included a detailed description of why they visited and what services they received. Diorio said the information should not have been in spreadsheets in the email and the practice of putting medical information in Excel sheets will end immediately. Diorio said she believes the release is a category 2 HIPAA violation with a minimum fine of $1,000 per violation up to $50,000. A county worker collected the records Tuesday morning from WSOC. “We do everything we can to protect the personal information for all of our patients,” Mecklenburg County Manager Dena Diorio said. “In this particular instance, the checks and balances were not completely followed and we had a lapse.' Diorio said an IT staffer mistakenly included the information in the public records request. She also said no one checked the file before it was released. >> Got a question about the news? See our explainers here “This was a person who works in our IT security area so it’s not as if everybody has access to this information,” she said. It’s unclear if the hundreds of patients will be notified about the information leak. Diorio is planning to discuss the next steps with the county attorney on Tuesday. >> Click here to read the full story.
The significant turbulence that my plane encountered on the way to New Hampshire on Wednesday only foreshadowed what was going on down below on the ground in the Granite State, as Ted Cruz and Donald Trump battled in the Republican race and Hillary Clinton fought it out with Bernie Sanders on the Democratic side.
My return to New Hampshire brought a smile to my face as I walked off the plane; this is the seventh New Hampshire Primary that I have covered – the first back in 1992.
That first time, I arrived to breaking news about Bill Clinton and his draft board – in 2016, there is still news here on the trail involving the Clinton family.
As for the Republican race, even though my plane was late to Manchester, I managed to get down to Nashua to catch a town hall by Ted Cruz – who conveniently waited to start speaking until I came rushing in the door like a crazed reporter who was late.
“Have you noticed that Donald doesn’t take losing well?” Cruz asked to laughter and cheers from a crowd at a middle school.
“I don’t think people are interested in a temper tantrum, or you could call it a Trumper tantrum,” Cruz said to more applause.
This was not a quick aside, as Cruz went out of his way at his final event on Wednesday to skewer Trump repeatedly.
A few minutes later, I was down the street ducking into a drug store to get a reporter’s notebook, since someone on my staff evidently didn’t pack all the right stuff for this trip.
“Are you with one of the campaigns?” the girl behind the counter asked before she even started ringing up my purchase.
When I said I was a reporter, she didn’t waste one second.
“I don’t like Donald Trump,” she said sternly.
While Trump and Cruz were locked in their struggle over who did what in Iowa and whether there should be a re-vote of the Iowa Caucus, Marco Rubio continued to push ahead with his campaign, not getting involved in the Trump-Cruz back and forth.
At a town hall meeting in Portsmouth on Thursday morning, Rubio focused on what was wrong with the Obama Administration, not what was wrong with his rivals.
At one point, a now-former backer of Rand Paul made clear to Rubio that he might be ready to join his wife, already a Rubio voter.
“I hope to bring unity to your household,” a smiling Rubio said to laughter from 200 people gathered for his first event of the day.
Cruz also was offering an invite to former supporters of Paul, as my ear noted that Cruz was inserting the word “liberty” into his stump speech more here in New Hampshire, making a clear play for Paul’s more libertarian supporters.
It was a distinct change from Iowa, as the field in the 2016 race has been winnowed since Monday’s first vote with the departure of Rand Paul, Rick Santorum, Mike Huckabee and Martin O’Malley.
Trying to avoid the primary dustbin – and looking for a spark here in New Hampshire – was Carly Fiorina, who convened a conference call with supporters on Wednesday afternoon, giving no hint of ending her bid for President.
“We are feeling very, very good about where we are,” Fiorina said two days after getting 1.9 percent of the vote in Iowa.
“This was always going to be a long game,” as she assured donors and supporters on the call that she was planning for “the long haul.”
Fiorina then groused about the rules for this Saturday night’s debate hosted by ABC, which leaves her on the outside looking – and there is no pre-debate as a consolation prize.
“I will be the only candidate kept off the debate stage,” Fiorina said in a letter to the Republican National Committee, demanding that they step in to get her in the New Hampshire debate on Saturday night.
“To review, we beat Governors Christie and Kasich in Iowa this week when voters actually had their say,” Fiorina argued.
Meanwhile, the debate about debates was a bone of contention in the Democratic race, as Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders kept sparring over how many debates to have in coming weeks.
It’s a busy time to say the least, here in New Hampshire – as this sign in Exeter showed.