The FBI and NFL security said on Monday that they found a jersey stolen from the New England Patriots’ Tom Brady after his team won the Super Bowl last month in Mexico. >> Read more trending stories Along with the jersey, worn during Brady during Super Bowl LI, authorities also recovered a second jersey worn by Brady during the Patriots’ 2015 Super Bowl XLIV victory against the Seattle Seahawks, NFL officials said in a statement. “The items were found in the possession of a credentialed member of the international media,” according to the NFL. Houston police Chief Art Acevedo praised his department’s work in finding the jersey, which was traced to Mexico. Diario La Presna, the newspaper of the Mexican Editorial Organization, said on Twitter that the case involved the former director of the newspaper. A statement on the connection was expected Monday. Few details were immediately available in the investigation. The story made headlines across the country after Brady noticed his jersey was missing from the locker room after the historic Super Bowl win. “I put it in my bag and then came out and it wasn’t there anymore,” Brady said at the time. “So it’s unfortunate because that’s a nice piece of memorabilia. So if it shows up on eBay somewhere, someone let me know. Try to track that down.” The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.
It’s Tuesday. My favorite day of the week. Because tacos. The rumors are true - I love tacos. Crispy tacos. Soft tacos. Beef tacos. Chicken tacos. Even shrimp tacos. They’re all my favorites. But what does Tuesday have to do with tacos? At some point in our US culinary culture, someone put the word “taco” in front of “Tuesday” and created a benchmark dietary staple on a memorable day with a nice alliteration for the title - Taco Tuesday! But, don’t plan on using that for a theme for your new taco business, lest you have a strong legal team. While most people know about Taco Tuesday, they’re considerably less aware of who actually OWNS the ‘Taco Tuesday’ copyright. And that distinction belongs to Wyoming-based restaurant Taco John’s. (app users can see tweet here) (app users can see Facebook post here) We’ve even found what we’re told is the very first ‘Taco Tuesday’ radio commercial from Taco John’s. Behold: (app users can hear the commercial here) Priceonomics has an entire report on the history of ‘Taco Tuesday,’ that starts with this piece of startling information for a restaurant owner who dared use “taco Tuesday” as a promotion: When the owners of the Old Fashioned Tavern and Restaurant received a cease and desist letter demanding they stop holding Taco Tuesdays, they thought it was a joke. For almost a decade, the restaurant had sold $2 tacos on Tuesday night. Other restaurants and bars in the area had similar promotions, and in cities like San Francisco and Los Angeles, Taco Tuesday specials are as plentiful as yoga classes. But the author of the letter claimed that “Taco Tuesday” was a federally registered trademark that belonged to Taco John’s, a chain of around 400 Mexican-style fast food restaurants. And as Old Fashioned manager Jennifer DeBolt told the local Cap Times, they quickly realized that “the law firm is completely legit.” So, like hundreds of restaurant owners and managers who have received letters from Taco John’s lawyers in the last two decades, they stopped using the term Taco Tuesday.
A lawsuit brought by victims of the Orlando nightclub massacre against the gunman's employer and wife is being withdrawn from federal court and filed in state court in South Florida. Attorneys for 61 Pulse victims and family members of those killed filed the lawsuit in state court in Palm Beach County on Monday. The change in venues was made just days after a federal judge said in an order that he doubted federal court was the proper jurisdiction for the case. The lawsuit claims Omar Mateen's employer, security firm G4S, and the wife of Mateen, could have stopped the gunman before the attack last June but didn't. Forty-nine people died in the worst mass shooting in recent U.S. history, and dozens more were injured.
Orlando and Orange County officials want the first anniversary next June of the Pulse nightclub massacre to be marked with acts of love and kindness. Elected officials on Monday said that June 12 officially would be dedicated as 'Orlando United Day - A Day of Love and Kindness.' Officials also announced a series of events planned throughout the day on June 12. An exhibit of artwork collected from memorial sites set up around Orlando after the massacre will be shown at the Orange County History Center, followed by a memorial service at the site of the former gay nightclub. Another memorial ceremony will be held in the evening around downtown Orlando's Lake Eola. Forty-nine people died in the worst mass shooting in recent U.S. history; dozens more were injured.
It will be another day in court for accused murderer Markeith Loyd on Tuesday. The judge could make a decision about whether Loyd needs not only a full psychological evaluation, but an attorney. Markeith Loyd murder case controversy continues with new court filings Scott doubles down on decision to remove Ayala from Loyd's case Chief Mina 'extremely upset' over decision to not seek death penalty in… The Public Defender’s office has already said it has a conflict and is out, and the Office of Criminal Conflict is up next to bat. That office also said there could be an issue, which means the chief judge may appoint a private attorney as stand-by counsel. “The best course of action is that you appoint a seasoned, stand-by counsel whether or not Markeith Loyd wants it or not,” said WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer. But there are only a few who can take over the case. The options for attorneys are all death-penalty certified, and are on a rotation. In Loyd’s case, two attorneys could be appointed, and one will be a seasoned lawyer. Legal analysts say there are a few likely on a shorter list. “In a case like this, the court is going to err, they are going to err on the side of caution,” said Sheaffer. Taxpayers will have to pay for one of the attorneys if it comes to that.
As Republicans increased their attacks on Hillary Clinton and zeroed in on questions about donations to the Clinton Foundation during her time as Secretary of State, the Clinton campaign prepared Monday night to unveil its own internet effort to defend her record and push back against GOP critics.
What the Clinton camp is building is new web offering dubbed, “The Briefing,” designed to both push her campaign message and push back with what Podesta described as “the facts needed to debunk false attacks.”
Podesta’s post did not address any specific donations to the Clinton Foundation, relying on familiar attacks against the author of the book, “Clinton Cash.”
“The book has zero evidence to back up its outlandish claims,” Podesta wrote, as he took aim at the GOP.
“Rather than focus on what truly matters in this campaign, Republicans seem to only want to distort Hillary Clinton’s record,” as he accused the GOP of using “unlimited dark money” combined with Congressional investigations.
Just a few hours before Podesta announced the new website, Clinton’s lawyer told Republicans she would be available to testify later this month at a hearing on the Benghazi attacks and her email habits as Secretary of State.
But lawyer David Kendall said there would be only one Clinton appearance, not the two separate hearings demanded by the GOP.
State Department denies wrongdoing during Clinton tenure
While the two parties dueled over the issue, the State Department on Monday again brushed off any assertion of wrongdoing related to donations to the Clinton Foundation while Clinton was Secretary of State during the Obama Administration.
“We are not aware of any evidence that actions taken by Secretary Clinton were influenced by donation to the Clinton Foundation or speech honoraria to former President Clinton,” said Jeffrey Rathke, the State Department spokesman.
“We are aware of no evidence of undue influence,” Rathke flatly told reporters at a briefing.
The denials came as a political group aligned with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush put out a video attacking Clinton over the donation issue.
That video used footage from Clinton’s confirmation hearing as Secretary of State, where she assured Senators that there would be full disclosure of all donations while she was Secretary of State – as the Foundation has acknowledged, that did not happen in all cases.
Back in 2009, questions were raised at that hearing about how Secretary Clinton would deal with possible conflicts-of-interest between donations to the Clinton Foundation and how some of those groups might be dealt with by the State Department.
While the Clinton campaign mustered their new response plan, there are some Democrats who want the Clintons to do a little more to deal with stories in major newspapers about donations to the Clinton Foundation – and their possible influence.
“It’s not enough to say that the Clinton Foundation hasn’t done anything “knowingly inappropriate,” wrote Jim Manley, a former top aide to Senators Harry Reid (D-NV) and Edward Kennedy (D-MA).